TITLE: Administrative Assistant
REPORTS TO: Pastor
HOURS: Monday – Friday (40 hours per week)
BENEFITS: See Employee Handbook
VACATION/SICK TIME: See Employee Handbook
This position is responsible for maintaining all day-to-day aspects of the office and its functions. Specific responsibilities of the Administrative Assistant position are listed below; however, they encompass managing church records and employee files, and assisting the Pastor. This position also supports the staff and volunteers to develop a teamwork environment in which all ministries and programs can be implemented effectively. The Administrative Assistant is responsible for keeping the Pastor informed of notable administrative issues, as well as maintaining the social media presence of the church.
- Supervise the content and production of all reports, all congregation-wide mailings, and other printed materials.
- Sort/distribute incoming mail, packages, faxes, phone messages, etc.
- Prepare outgoing mail and deliver to the post office as needed.
- Copying, filing, typing as needed.
- Coordinate rental and usage of the church, fellowship hall, and other church property.
- Maintain all office files including the Parish Register and Attendance Records.
- Maintain church membership database (Shepherd Staff) with all member information, including member emails.
- Update email addresses in PC (Outlook) and Mail Chimp (E-Blast).
- Review inventory and keep office supplies organized.
- Distribute and collect all keys, including keys given to council members, staff, and renters.
- Maintain and manage church calendar.
- Provide clerical and administrative support to the Pastor.
- Create worship bulletin and coordinate its preparation and other tasks necessary to prepare for worship services.
- Coordinate placement of announcements of weekly and special events to DaySpring, Website (including Social Media), LED sign and E-Blast.
- Supervise preparation, assembly and mailing of the Dayspring monthly.
- Assist in compiling and generating ELCA (or other) Annual Reports
- Maintain and manage the Altronics security system, including the distribution of fobs and making password arrangements.
- Maintain and manage the Galco phone system, updating and recording messages as required.
- Make credit card purchases as requested, and track receipts for same.
- Arrange for payment to Supply Pastors or Organist as needed.
- Assist in updating Care Giving database.
- Type and mail acknowledgement of memorial contributions.
- Assemble and distribute monthly Congregational Council packets.
- Prepare monthly Administrative Assistant Report to Council.
- Assemble and distribute New Council Member binders and paperwork.
- Type, photocopy, and mail Annual Congregational Report.
- Arrange accommodations for Synod Assembly.
- Support all Ministry Teams.
- With the help of the Pastor enlist office volunteers
- Coordinate and train the volunteer receptionists to ensure the phones are answered, answering machine messages are maintained, incoming calls are distributed properly, messages are taken and delivered, and security protocols are maintained.
Book Keeper/Payroll/Membership contributions:
- Maintain system established by Bookkeeper.
- Shred sensitive materials as needed.
- Acknowledge and record all memorial contributions.
- Approve, process and record all H.A.M. transactions
- Provide congregational giving statements
Human Resource Functions:
- Provide new employee packet and update as necessary.
- Maintaining all confidential personnel files.
- Plan, or assist in planning, the office holiday party
- Annually prepare Employee Personal Holiday/vacation/personal days summary. (together with the Financial/Property Admin.)
- Maintain security clearance, according to PA law, for all church employees and church volunteers
- Manages all hiring teams to make sure policies and procedures are followed.
Physical Plant Functions:
- Responsible for approving, or obtaining approval of requests for rental/usage of the church for all non-church events.
- Keep Sexton informed regarding all calendar events.
Clerical Support to Children’s Learning Center as needed.
- Other duties may be assigned by your Supervisor
SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
A person of faith; discreet; strong written and verbal communication skills; excellent organizational and planning abilities; ability to deal with conflict positively; team mentality; good typing, proofreading, and computer/web/technological skills.
This position description is subject to change.
To apply, contact the church office at 610-838-0400 or churchoffice@christlutheranhellertown